Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 3 Essential Question

How can we use Minecraft to create a sound and robust learning experience for students?
As the creators, we need to make Minecraft a game that will be engaging to the students. When creating the game, we want to think of the types of interactions we want the students to have during the experience not what we think the game should be about. We want our students to be “navigating the world, building their own creations and collaborating with each other to explore and solve puzzles” (Levin). A “common mistake among novice game developers is that they think of a new game in terms of the topic they want to include in the game and not the interactions driving engagement” (Kapp, 2014).
Minecraft has all four types of games within it such as “Agon, Alea, Mimicry and Illinx” (Kapp, 2014).  With Agon there’s competition. In someways Minecraft can be competitive when playing with multiplayers. Who can build the fastest house or nicest house. When playing as a single player, it’s competitive to who can build the fastest house before dark and stay safe. Alea is chance. There is a fifty% chance your house will be built correctly, or when building it will be completed in enough time. I know when I was playing minecraft I had a difficult time building. My blocks would be placed in some other area instead of the building location. I would have to break them and retry. This would take time, so I can see how Minecraft could be challenging to students. It would definitely keep their interest and help them set goals to build a house. The other type is Mimicry. Minecraft is a virtual world. It’s a game in 3D and we are building houses with blocks. Illinx is integrated in Minecraft, we are not moving to music, but we do fly in the game and can jump and run during the game.
The other way to keep Minecraft a sound and robust learning experience for students is to make sure each different kind of player will enjoy the game. I know after playing Minecraft I’m definitely an achiever and explorer. I was somewhat socializing to get information on how to use the game and help others when needed, but mostly working to achieve my goals. The only time I was a killer was when I had to cook food.
Minecraft creates many different situations for all players to enjoy the game. There are two types of minecraft students can play. Minecraft students can be “connected to the same server and share the same world” and in MinecraftEdu the “teachers and students can connect together in the same virtual space.” To have a sound and robust learning experience we need to set goals and expectations for our students. Students need to be given “specific tasks to accomplish or puzzles to solve” (Webster, 2011). Students need to work together to achieve these goals and to make Minecraft an extraordinary learning experience in their classroom.



References

Kapp, K. M. (2012). The Gamification of Learning and Instruction : Game-based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education. San Francisco: Pfeiffer.

Levin, J. (2011, February 2). GETTING STARTED WITH MINECRAFTEDU. Retrieved September 17, 2014, from http://educade.org/lesson_plans/getting-started-with-minecraftedu

What is MinecraftEdu. (2011, April 7). Retrieved September 16, 2014.


Andrew, W. (2011, April 3). Educational building blocks: How Minecraft is used in classrooms. Retrieved September 18, 2014, from http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/educational-building-blocks-how-minecraft-is-being-used-in-the-classroom/

3 comments:

  1. I agree that our game needs to appeal to different types of players; I imagine in an entire class that participates, not every student will love that we are using Minecraft. We will need to have elements of our game that gives all students an opportunity to engage and experience different types of game play. I am also interested in thinking about how they will collaborate and share their work beyond their class. Thomas had a good suggestion to use discussion boards to share thought process, explain what they are building, and even to give props and feedback to other builders/competitors! We have a lot to consider but I think we're on the right track and I'm excited to see what we get to this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very comprehensive analysis of Minecraft! I like the approach that you took that there's a little something in there for everyone. My daughter is 5 years old, and she's plays (she calls it the "cow game"), but we always put her in creative mode. She loves it. However, I personally get kind of board with creative mode. Sure, I'll do all the cool stuff for awhile, but I LOVE survival mode. The thrill of mining before the sun goes down, because that's when the beasties come! The scary banging on your door of zombies! The disheartening hiss of creepers as just before they blow up your hard work. The thrill of finding an element that you really needed. That's what gets to me! I love having something fun with which to connect with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great application of Roger Callois’ four game categories to Minecraft. I do appreciate your help when we are playing the game, you are so knowledgeable about crafting. Sounds like you enjoy the game, a goal I hope to achieve in this MOOC!

    ReplyDelete