Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 5 Reflection

This week has been the most confusing, stressful week of all. First, my husband and I moved into our new house and our internet isn't working. The earliest a technician can come and fix it is in the middle of next week, so driving across town to find internet is quite stressful. Our small group has now become a larger group, where I think this was a great move it's now we're inventing the wheel. We have created a planning document on google drive, which has let everyone voice their ideas and opinions. I think this is important to keep everyone on the same page and communicate with one another. We all have been assigned a task to focus on. From the reading's this week, I learned some excellent strategies for a successful project. After reading the blogs from this week the overall strategy that I think everyone feels is important is communication, focused meeting questions and specific tasks delegated to one another.

I also have experienced how minecraft can be very successful in schools. During our challenge this week, we were put into two groups. One where German Leaders and the other were Advocates for Women. We had a small section to read (history of Germany) and then we had to build, leave citations from the text in treasure chests and create Germany how it would be after the destruction. While building, I saw slightly how this could work for literature. After watching the overview Dr. Graham created and shared, I saw how building in Minecraft can be used for a diorama, books and signs can be used for evidence in citing the text. The building showed evidence the students (us) read the text, used the text while citing and understood their role. During the overview and immediate feedback Dr. Graham, mentioned students could do a write up after building and using their screen shots in their presentation. It's amazing to me how we can take a game and turn it into an excellent tool to use with literature, history...etc Take the lectures, excess worksheets away and turn it into a fun learning experience for students. Game on! Mia and I have had phone conferences and google hangouts to work together on our specific task. My goal for next week is to start the game design process and get the ball rolling. I will add information to the planning document, keep working with my peers and create our MOOC for the 6 -12th graders.


No comments:

Post a Comment